Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review: Black For Remembrance



Black for Remembrance
 
Black For Remembrance
Carlene Thompson
St. Martin's Paperback
Pub Date 12/15/2002
 
Goodreads Synopsis:Caroline Webb knows what it means to lose the person you love most. Twenty years ago, her five-year-old daughter, Hayley, was the light of her life, her treasure, her angle. Then came the terrible day when Hayley was kidnapped from her favorite swing. More than a month passed before her burned, lifeless body was found. All that remained was the silence of Caroline's heartache--and her guilt...

Now, Caroline has started over with a new husband. She even has another precious daughter, Melinda. She thinks she has put the ghosts of her past behind her. But without warning, those ghosts once again start to echo in the night. Suddenly, Hayley's favorite doll reappears...strange murders rock the Webbs' small town...Caroline even claims she has heard the voice of the little girl she lost all those years ago. Could Hayley still be out there somewhere, somehow? Now a killer waits in the wings--waiting to make Caroline live her worst nightmare yet...


My Review : This book was a great suspense novel. I had a hard time putting it down. Caroline Webb,  the main character, seems to be losing her mind when she starts to hear the voice of her dead daughter. As the book goes on she seems to descend deeper into madness. I thought by the middle of the book I had it figured out (the armature sleuth I am). I was wrong.
        All the characters are well written and realistic . I could understand all the complex relationships and felt how each affected each character. Caroline's confusion when trying to figure out who is using her past to torment her. David (Caroline's Husband) anger on who would do this to his wife and fear that the action was pushing her into the arms of her ex-husband. Chris trying to deal with the guilt he feel for what happened to his child and trying to protect Caroline for his mistakes.
        The end really wrapped everything up nicely and gave closure to every one. This is a book I have had on my shelf for years and I am glad I finally read it. I will be looking for more from this author. 

 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment