Saturday, September 7, 2013

Review : Matched


 
 
7735333
Matched
Ally Condie
Dutton Juvenile
 
 
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
 
 
My Review: I enjoyed this book but.......it was not what I expected. I heard this book was amazing everyone raving about it. I thought it was good but not amazing. Before you click off this review let me explain.
 
   Ally Condie is a wonderful writer. The world she created was incredible. I loved the premise of this book and the message. I sometimes think we are letting technology rule all of our lives. This book took it even further. Telling us who we are going to spend the rest of our lives with. When we die. What our jobs will be. Every aspect of our lives controlled by a government. I found that riveting.
 
 What was missing for me was no one questioned it, I understand that if you did the government would swoop in and destroy your life, but still everyone (but these two teens) walked around like drones. I would have liked to see more conflict in this story. I am going to read the next book and see if my opinion changes but right now this is not one of my favorites of the year. This gets 3.75 stars because I did enjoy it but think there could have done more.
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment