Sunday, October 20, 2013

Review : The Monstrumologist








The Monstrumologist
Rick Yancey
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
 
 
These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me . . . and the one who cursed me.

So starts the diary of Will Henry, orphaned assistant to Dr. Pellinore Warthorpe, a man with a most unusual specialty: monstrumology, the study of monsters. In his time with the doctor, Will has met many a mysterious late-night visitor, and seen things he never imagined were real. But when a grave robber comes calling in the middle of the night with a gruesome find, he brings with him their most deadly case yet.

A gothic tour de force that explores the darkest heart of man and monster and asks the question: When does man become the very thing he hunts?
 
 
 
My Review: This book was amazing. It is refreshing not to read a book about vampires, zombies and werewolves. Rick Yancey has created a monster that chills the blood. The monsters in this book are exactly that monsters. Refreshing to see and read about. I am happy to read this book for the sheer terror instilled by the wonderful description of these creatures. A creature that's only purpose is to feed on humans . That is the first thing that grabbed me about this book. 
   The second thing was the idea that there is a science to study monsters. A hidden society of men whose life is dedicated to hunting and examining these beast to protect the people of the world and have a better understanding of them. 
   Third was Will Henry himself 12 years old working in this field with Dr. Pellinore Warthorpe ( the half crazed scientist ) and his dedication to this man. His loyalty to a man who has not a responsible bone in his body. The relationship that bonds them is touching at times but the other times you don't understand why Will Henry does not just run the heck away. 
 The last thing is the writing. To say this was well written would be an understatement. It is the best book I have read in a long time one of my favorites and I am going to continue the series because I got lost in the world that Mr. Yancey wrote about and I want to go back there. I will keep my eyes peeled for monsters.
 
 
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment