Monday, March 25, 2013

Review : Dearly, Departed




Dearly, Departed: A Zombie Novel

Dearly , Departed
Lia Habel
Del Ray Publisher
 
The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria—a high-tech nation modeled on the mores of an antique era. Sixteen-year-old Nora Dearly is far more interested in her country’s political unrest than in silly debutante balls. But the death of her beloved parents leaves Nora at the mercy of a social-climbing aunt who plans to marry off her niece for money. To Nora, no fate could be more horrible—until she’s nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses. Now she’s suddenly gunning down ravenous zombies alongside mysterious black-clad commandos and confronting a fatal virus that raises the dead. Then Nora meets Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble . . . and thoroughly deceased. But like the rest of his special undead unit, Bram has been enabled by luck and modern science to hold on to his mind, his manners, and his body parts. And when his bond of trust with Nora turns to tenderness, there’s no turning back. Eventually, they know, the disease will win, separating the star-crossed lovers forever. But until then, beating or not, their hearts will have what they desire.
 
 
 
My Review:  I do not understand why this is not on more TBR lists. This book was wonderful. I can not gush enough about this book. I loved it and everything about it. Okay let me see if I can break it down a little better than that.
 
 First, I loved the time period it was set in. Yes it was the future but, the people lived as it was the 1900's . So I loved the time period. It was delightful to see people living in a simpler time with only some of our modern advancements. I know that sounds strange but to have a carriage instead of a car and dress more modestly but still have computers ( yes I am very old fashioned)
 
Second, I really liked the characters. Nora was strong willed and independent (losing both parents does that to you) She was rebellious and couragous. Someone who spoke her mind when that was not favored by young women. Bram was the perfect gentleman (For someone who is dead) and had not lost his humanity.
 
Third, I loved how different chapters were told by different people. The five POV were wonderful because you jumped to what was going on at the same time in different parts of the community. Yes Nora and Bram were the main characters but the story included so much more than just there lives and where they were. Everything that they did affected the town Nora grew up in. I think it was a treat to see that going on too.
 
Lastly, it was a action packed rollercoaster ride from start to finish and I am dying to see how it continues and how it concludes thought I don't want to see it end. I think everyone should read this even if they do not like zombies, because this will make you think twice about them.
 
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment