Monday, February 11, 2013

Review : Ripper



Ripper (Ripper, #1)

Ripper
Amy Carol Reeves
Flux Publishers
 
It's 1888, and after her mother's sudden death, Abbie is sent to live with her grandmother in a posh London neighborhood. When she begins volunteering at Whitechapel Hospital, Abbie finds she has a passion for helping the abused and sickly women there.

But within days, patients begin turning up murdered at the hands of Jack the Ripper. As more women are murdered, Abbie realizes that she and the Ripper share a strange connection: she has visions showing the Ripper luring his future victims to their deaths--moments before he turns his knife upon them. Her desperation to stop the massacres leads Abbie on a perilous hunt for the killer. And her search leads to a mysterious brotherhood whose link to the Ripper threatens not just London but all of mankind.
 
 
 
My Review : I know it took me a while to write this review, but I really wanted to reflect on this book. When I first finished it my thoughts were not that pleasant. Then as I thought about it I realized one thing .
       I did like the book this is the authors debut and as a story teller this was a well crafted book. As a reader I always love being transported to different worlds, but this transported me to a different time and I enjoyed that also. Whitechapel is so well described I felt as if it were a character itself. This was my first read of historical fiction and it will not be my last.
       I am use to reading action packed books but this lacked all the action I am use too. Then I remembered this is a YA mystery. I usually read adult hard boiled mysteries so comparing it to them was not fair. As I remembered that I like the book more. ( Not that this book lacked anything in the murders department.) It just seemed slower than adult books I have read. The story is still captivating and very well written.
     Abbie the main character was what I imagine a young girl would be like in 1888, but sometimes I found that frustrating because she did not ask the questions I think someone would ask now. Abbie was trying to find a killer and trying to find out more about her mother. Most people she talked to about her mother would elude that they knew her but Abbie never followed up with any questions. I know I would be asking a million questions about my mother. I guess that was not done in polite society back then.
      I also enjoyed the paranormal aspect of the book Abbie unique conection to the killer. I found that intriguing and a nice twist that kept me reading to see what would happen next. So after all was said and done I liked the book and will be picking up the next book in the series.
 
 
 
 
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment