Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Review : The Real Real



7083011
The Real Real
Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus
Harper Teen
 
 
Imagine there was never a Laguna Beach, a Newport Harbor, the shimmering Hills. Imagine that your hometown—your school—is the first place XTV descends to set up cameras.

Now imagine they've trained them on you.

When Jesse O'Rourke gets picked for a "documentary" being filmed at her school in the Hamptons she's tempted to turn down the offer. But there's a tuition check attached to being on the show, and Jesse needs the cash so she can be the first in her family to attend college. All she has to do is trade her best friend for the glam clique she's studiously avoided, her privacy for a 24/7 mike, and her sense of right and wrong for "what sells on camera." . . . At least there's one bright spot in the train wreck that is her suddenly public senior year: Jesse's crush has also made the cast.

As the producers manipulate the lives of their "characters" to heighten the drama, and Us Weekly covers become a regular occurrence for Jesse, she must struggle to remember one thing: the difference between real and the real real .


My Review:  I really enjoyed this books take on "reality T.V ". I for one do watch a "reality" show and I know it is set up but this book throws it under the bus. Funny and lighthearted at times it shines a light on how fixed those shows are. Using teen in this way is never right. I know college cost a lot but I for one would never trade my life to be used in such a way. This book is enlightens teens on all the mystery of those wonderful people whose lives are watched 24/7. If they don't know it is all fiction they will after reading this book. My daughter loved this book and was shocked to think of all the TV shows she has seen. Now she looks at them threw different eyes and we smile at each other when something happens that we can't believe.

      I never read the nanny diaries but I did like the writing style of this book and the quick pace in which it flowed so I may pick that up too to read soon.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment