Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Review: You Are Mine





17888912

You Are Mine
Janeal Falor
 
 
Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.
 
 
 
My Review: I was a little taken back by this book. Women being owned. I was intrigued to read more. Serena is a outspoken and courageous character in a time when a woman can be punished for speaking her mind and is only valued for her blood (or magic in her blood). I relate to Serena because I speak my mind and I protect the ones I love. Serena is old enough to enter the marriage pool and is found to have high levels of magic in her blood, which make her very sought after by the upper class of her society . This pleases her farther who wants to sell her for a good price.
 
  I did enjoy this book. I like the interesting society Janeal Falor created and her take on the warlock culture is also unique. Serena is a great character though she puts up with a lot of cruel and unusual punishments in a world that allows them. She never stops being true to herself. It is inspiring to have a character who knows things are wrong and does not fear to question things or does not think before talking. The supporting characters are just as well written and give substance to a wonderful story. I will be looking for more in this series because I need to see what happens next.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment